Connecting with your physician from
Telemedicine uses video cameras and monitors to connect you with Capital Cardiology Associates healthcare professionals who are not located near you, meaning you don’t have to travel to get the care you need. You will be able to see, hear, and talk to a cardiologist, advanced care provider, or cardiac specialist at our location through video-conferencing, allowing you to be at a medical facility, your home, or another location. Just like with any face-to-face appointment, you can have a family member, care provider, or friend accompany you if you wish.
How does a telemedicine appointment work?
A telemedicine appointment is just like a regular appointment. You will sit in front of a computer, cell phone, or tablet where you will be able to see yourself and your health care provider on the screen once your session begins. These appointments are also called virtual visits. You can also choose to use your phone or computer for an audio-only visit.
Your health care team will ask you questions and work with you to develop a plan of care, providing the same quality of care you would get in a face-to-face visit.
To participate in a virtual visit you will need:
• A computer & webcam, or
• A smartphone or tablet (mobile device)
Capital Cardiology Associates uses Zoom secure video conferencing solutions. This service is HIPAA/PIPEDA compliant, actively encrypting of all audio, video, and screen sharing data. Additionally, the service does not and cannot access any personal health information (PHI), keeping your patient data secure.
Instructions to a virtual visit
In order to have a productive virtual visit, we recommend the following steps:
1. Make sure to check your email for a message from Captial Cardiology containing a link to join your visit. Note the day and time of your visit to your calendar!
2. Download the Zoom app for your cellphone, tablet, or computer. Make sure that your device’s operating system is up to date, that all updates have been installed, that your device has a working forward facing camera, speaker, and microphone, and is free of any viruses or connection issues. We also recommend charging your device prior to the appointment, or better yet, having it connected to a power source during the visit.
3. Make sure the area you will be connecting from is free from any personal items that you do not want to be on camera. Examples would be pictures of family, friends, or personal property. We strongly suggest that you limit/remove any distractions from the room (small children, guests, or pets) that may disturb the meeting. Try to create an environment that would be similar to a visit to your doctor’s office.
4. About five minutes before your scheduled visit, open the link to join the Zoom meeting. Follow the login instructions in the email, making sure to enter the correct conference number. An alert will chime when your healthcare provider enters the meeting.
5. At the conclusion of your virtual visit, you can close the window on your screen to exit the session.
You do not need to reboot or restart your machine.
How does telemedicine benefit you?
Many patients who live in rural or medically underserved areas may not have access to the providers or specialists they need to monitor and treat their health. Telemedicine is a valuable and unique service to get you the care you need, no matter where you live.
Other benefits include:
• The ability to stay in your home community
• Reduced stress from the cost and time spent traveling
• Reduced absence from work/school
Just like a regular doctor’s appointment, your telemedicine visit will be private and confidential. What you say during your visit can only be seen and heard by you and your health care team.
Is there a cost for a telemedicine appointment?
You will be billed for your telemedicine appointment the same as if you were seeing your health care provider in person. Many insurers cover telemedicine services. To find out if your insurance company will cover these services, please contact them directly or speak to your health care team.
Ready for a telehealth appointment?
Use the form below to request a telehealth appointment with Capital Cardiology Associates. A patient services representative will be in touch to collect more information to confirm your appointment. If your current physician is not available, you may be asked to be seen by another provider. Please indicate in your message of health problems or safety concerns that prevent you from traveling to our offices.